Thursday 30 May 2013

Let Them Eat Cake. Chocolate Cupcakes To Be Precise.


I feel like it's been too long since I posted on here. To be honest, I think this has actually been the longest amount of time between posts, so i'm sorry for that. Life seems to have taken over recently and this afternoon is the first time that i've been able to just...sit down.

My relatives from America were still here last weekend so we had a barbecue. Luckily the sun decided to come out and it turned into one of the best days weather wise in a while. My mum made her famous trifle and asked me to make a pudding. So, I went with chocolate cupcakes because apart from brownies they seem to be the only type of cake that usually turns out pretty decent. It's a strange and rather complicated recipe but if you follow it properly then you should end up with some lovely light and chocolatey cupcakes. Yummmm.

You will need:
115g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
85g unsalted butter, room temp
175g soft brown sugar
2 large eggs
185g plain flour; sifted
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
250ml semi-skimmed milk, room temp
1 teaspoon good-quality vanilla extract

That's a lot of ingredients! 


Step 1- Preheat the oven to 170ºC (fan)/190ºC/375ºF/gas mark 5 and line a muffin tray. You should be able to make about 12-16 regular cakes or if you want to make mini ones the mixture should make around 48.

Step 2- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt. I melted mine in the microwave and heated it for 30 seconds at a time. Then leave to cool slightly. 



Step 3- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. This should take about 3-5 minutes with an electric hand mixer. 



Step 4- Separate the eggs. In another bowl beat the egg yolks for several minutes.


Step 5- Slowly add the egg yolks to the creamed mixture and beat this well. Then, add the melted chocolate and beat well.


Step 6- Now combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a separate bowl. 
(Sorry there's no photo of this oops. It wasn't a very interesting step anyway.)


Step 7- Put the milk in a jug and add the vanilla extract.



Step 8- Add one third of the flour to the chocolate mixture and beat well. Then, pour a third of the milk in and beat again. Repeat this until all of the flour and milk have been added. (Sorry again that there's no photo. I think I was concentration too hard on adding the ingredients.)

Step 9- In a new bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks start to form like this...



Step 10- Then carefully fold the egg whites into the batter with a metal spoon. Do not beat, I repeat...do not beat! As this will take all of the air out of the mixture.


Step 11- Again, I don't have a photo but you will end up with quite a liquid batter that looks almost like chocolate mousse. Spoon this mixture into the cases, filling them two thirds full and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins (regular size) or 15 mins for the smaller ones.

I decorated mine with chocolate butter icing, chocolate pretzels and broken up mint matchmakers but you can put whatever you like on top! I always find this the most exciting part of the process and love experimenting with new ways to decorate my cupcakes. 

I know that this recipe seems fairly complex and would take a bit more time than a standard recipe but it's totally worth it because the cakes turn out that bit more fluffy and lighter and will rise without fail, which is probably the most important thing.

Let me know if you end up making your own or if you have any recipes to share! 





18 comments:

  1. Those little heart shaped measuring spoons are adorable! The cupcakes look so good, I feel like I need to do some baking this weekend now :)

    Ria x
    naturiabeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, my sister has that cupcake recipebook and it's one of my favorite recipebooks ever!

    purple--flamingo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good :) and I love how you've decorated them :) xx
    xtouchofbeautyx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us, I have to make this for my family :)
    xoxo
    -B ♡
    http://msberrystylish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acabo de conocer tu blog! Tiene mucho estilo y personalidad.
    TE SIGO!! Y me encantaría que me siguieses tu también a mi.
    Besoooos :D

    http://enjoythelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what you mean about the baking you've been doing - they look amazing, literally craving choc cake so bad now haha. Also how adorable are your little measuring spoons, so cute!

    Harri

    at-rubik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This whole post is amazing, but I'm obsessed with them heart shaped measuring spoons! They look great :) X

    http://thebudgetbeautybuzz.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm these look so good. And I love how you've decorated them! Beuatiful :) Scottish Wendy | Wendy's World xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. uh, yum! These look fantastic! I also love your measuring spoons, so cute!
    Kallie
    ButFirstCoffeeBlog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute, they look absolutely amazing! xx
    http://louabellex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow they look so good - definitely made me crave chocolate, right now! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pictures for this post, I never would remember to take step by step haha! These look amazing :-)I've never made cupcakes before but this recipe looks a good one to try out! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the cakes too me so long to make because I was stopping to take pictures at every step! That's why some are missing :)

      Delete
  13. they look absolutely amazing! will definitely be attempting them - i highly doubt they'll end up look even half as good as yours though!
    http://cloudsandcuticleoil.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum these look so good! I think I have that recipe book from the first picture - I'll have to give them a try :) I love the flowers as decorations, they look so cute.

    silvert0ne xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey dear!thanks for following me! im following u! :)
    poppy:
    http://me-poppy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look sooo amazing Hannah!!

    Emily xxx

    beleza-byems.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete