Sunday 30 June 2013

A Year Of Biggie


Above: Little Baby Biggie

I don't know the exact date of my cat's birthday so I have decided to count it from the date that he officially came to live with us. Long story short, he originally belonged to my brothers housemate at University and was named Biggie (yes, after the rapper). It got to Christmas time and Biggie and his brother Guiness were only a few months old. All of my brothers housemates including him were going home for the holidays and there was no one to look after the little kittens. After a bit of persuading my mum kindly offered to look after them for a month over Christmas and they came to stay. I was so happy about this because i'm a big cat person and had always wanted a cat, but my Mum was never keen on the idea of getting one. Just having the kittens around for a month was good enough for me because it meant I got to experience what it would be like to have a cat (or two)...and I loved it. To my Mum's surprise she really enjoyed having them around too and I could see she was becoming very attached. I was secretly hoping that we would be able to keep them when the month was up but my brother's housemates wanted them back. So I said goodbye and expected to only see them when I was visiting my brother at Uni. This was until my brother and his housemates finished their first year there and Biggie's owner decided that he would probably be better off coming to live with us. His owner was also very attached so it must have been hard to say goodbye but i'm so grateful that he let us adopt Bigs. I think sometimes when people haven't had a pet before they don't realise just how expensive it can be, especially when you take insurance and vaccinations etc into account.

So exactly one year ago (when he was roughly one year old) today Biggie came to live with us and now I can't imagine not having him around. I love him to bits, even when he brings us...presents. I'll miss him so much when I move out of my parents house in August.

I'd love to hear about your pets or if you have any stories about them?

He can be such a grump sometimes!

14 comments:

  1. Dawwww! He's such a cute cat!!! I agree, many people get into pet ownership not aware of the time, money, and work it can be!
    We adopted our dog Zoe from the shelter. We bought our other dog, Austin, from a breeder. We got him back in 2006 and we still had a about 2 months left on a lease of an apartment that didn't allow dogs. Ooops. But we had to have him. I spent 6 weeks sneaking him in and out of the apartment (he was about 2.5lbs as a puppy) multiple times a day. haha. Looking back, it probably wasn't a wise decision, but I couldn't imagine my life without either of my fur babies!
    <3Kallie, But First Coffee Blog OR But First Coffee on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww bless!! Yeh right, even I wasn't really aware of how much he would cost and I think that's part of the reason my mum has always been hesitant about getting a pet. That's the thing, you get so attached to your pets. I couldn't imagine giving him up now. I'd love to get a dog in a few years time!

      Delete
  2. Awhh he's adorable! We have a persian cat named Missy who we rescued :) Cats are just the sweetest :) xx
    http://xtouchofbeautyx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's such a cute name!! They really are :)

      Delete
  3. He's really adorable! I love cats, well all animals, and I couldn't imagine living without them. They kinda become a part of you with they relaxed presence.

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! I really want a few more pets or a dog eventually. Or even another cat but I don't think that Bigs would get along with another cat haha.

      Delete
  4. Great post! Really enjoyed it! I am about to follow you, maybe you could head over to my blog and follow me too? PS- I love the design of your blog! Soo nice
    www.potential-perfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cutie - I looove this post :)

    xo,
    Lela - http://www.lelalondon.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute!!!! I love animals, I have two chihuahuas :)

    http://www.whatkimmididnext.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww super cute! When I lived with my family we got a cat when I was 8 (she's 14 now!) but she's a really evil, moody animal and is always on the look out to scratch you. When I moved in with my boyfriend he had a black cat called Betty who is hilarious and the softest cat I've ever met! She's about 10 now but she's brilliant, I think of her as mine now and feel estranged from my parents cat haha!! xx

    Curls and Swirls Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some cats are so funny aren't they? Lots of my friends don't like cats because they have come across one that's evil and then think that's what all of them are like haha!

      Delete
  8. This is so beautiful, what an adorable post. I always make a big deal out of my cats birthday... Thinking of how to celebrate it later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so lovely that his last owner let you give him a home. He's so adorable, I love his little fluffy ears!

    I got my cat from a rescue shelter when he was a year old - that was nearly 10 years ago now and he's got such a personality that I can't imagine not having him as part of the family! :) x

    ReplyDelete