Thursday 16 May 2013

Getting Organised | Part 1: The Wardrobe

I've always been a very tidy person. Believe it or not, I don't see cleaning as a chore and actually enjoy tidying up and making sure that things are clean. Is that strange that I think it's fun? I find that if the space around me is tidy then I can concentrate a lot better and I feel less stressed. I definitely find it helps when I sit down to do some work because I'm not distracted by all of the things around me. Does anyone else find this? 
I really enjoy looking for new ways to store things so that they are tidied away but also accessible. So here's the first part in a series of posts about 'organising'. I hope that it gives you some useful ideas and perhaps puts you in the mood to do some spring cleaning!

Every couple of months I will dedicate a rainy afternoon to clearing out my wardrobe. This includes, throwing away old things, making a pile of clothes I want to take to the charity shop or sell on eBay (the eBay pile is still sat there waiting) and throwing away old broken hangers that I find lurking at the back of the wardrobe. Every time I do this, I realise that I have so many items of clothing that I never wear and this is when I convince myself not to by any more clothes. This only lasts for a few days, but rearranging my clothes in different ways does make me wear the ones that have been forgotten again. It must be psychological!  


I also find that if my shoes and handbags are all put together in a big bag or box then they never get used because I can't see them and often forget that they are there. So when I went to Ikea at the weekend I picked up a hanging shoe organiser as a way of storing shoes  and smaller bags and also displaying them. This seems to work well as I find that I am more likely to wear them because they are accessible. The handbags that I never use but just can't bare to part with for some strange reason are kept in a big floral storage bag for now. If anyone knows of any ways to store or display bags then please let me know!



The things that I use or wear all the time are stored away in these little boxes, which are also from Ikea. I love the fact that they don't have lids so that I can grab things when I need them but still keep them all pretty organised. They are different sizes but all squares and rectangles so sit nicely together on the shelves in my wardrobe. Each item has it's own box which means that it is a lot easier and quicker to find something, especially if i'm in a hurry.


There are so many different ways that you can organise your wardrobe, I find that boxes seem to be the best way for me to store everything. How do you store things in your wardrobe? I'd love to hear of any other ways to keep everything tidy. 

17 comments:

  1. Looks pretty organized! I am currently living in a temporary apartment, so my wardrobe is far from organized. I can't wait until we get to move to our permanent apartment. 1,5 more months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a very tidy person and like to see thing organized :). So it's nice that there is still some tidyness-maniac out there too :D!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love organising! I can't wait to sort out all my stuff this summer and have a blog sale!

    Amy| The Little Koala Blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was so organised as you! I do sort out thing for eBay every so often, but I just can't seem to keep my wardrobe or drawers in order :D
    http://www.rebelangel.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great organizzation!!!!
    Would you like to follow each other on gfc and bloglovin? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I eyed the military jacket with leather sleeves.. it looks very chic from the side! xxRenaKiss and Make Up

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of the least organised people you'll ever find - though my wardrobe is kind of organised compared to the rest of my stuff. ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh this is something I've been meaning to do, I love those fabric shelves, must invest in some of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very inspiring. I know what I'll be doing on my days off...! :) xx

    scottishwendy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so bad with organizing my closet. I have so much stuff, I kind of just stuff everything in there.

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like my wardrobe to be tidy and organised too!

    LUXESSED

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am obsessed with re-organizing my closet so I really enjoyed this post! :)

    Michelle
    http://mash-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your wadrobe, it has been very helpful, thanks!


    xx,
    pastel-hearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ikea is so great for storage solutions! I also find it more relaxing when everything around me is neat, so much better. I picked up a clothes organiser from there the other week as I had waaay too many hangers in my wardrobe. xx

    Curls and Swirls Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete