Friday 3 May 2013

Feeling Crafty


Today’s post is going to be a crafty one! Last week my friend Laura and I decided we would have a craft day and try out a couple of different DIY ideas. We were feeling inspired from different pins we’d seen on Pinterest and stocked up on supplies (mostly wool) from The Range and Hobby Craft. Laura had been making lots of cute little pom poms at home and brought the template with her. I had a go and found it so therapeutic! Wrapping wool around a loop for hours is surprisingly relaxing.

I also wanted to make a tray using a photo frame and some patterned paper (something I had seen on Pinterest) as I knew this would be extremely easy to do. I already had lots of pretty paper at home that I found in Paperchase a couple of months ago so all I needed to buy was the frame. You could choose any style or colour frame but I went for something very simple. 



I had some wallpaper left over from redecorating my room and used that because i'm weird and like things to match. I cut it into a rectangle to fit the frame, took the stand off the back to make it more level and voila, the tray was finished. It's super easy and so effective. 



To make the pom poms I made a template out of card, cutting out two circles with smaller circles cut out the middle to make an ‘O’ shape.  

Next, I wrapped the wool around the 'O'. When I had have covered the entire circle in wool I cut around the edge, between the two pieces of card. (In the photo below i'm using the plastic template) 



I then pulled each cardboard ‘O’ out to the edges so that there was a gap between them and tied some more wool in a double knot around the middle to keep it all together.

Finally, I pulled the card circles off either end and cut any lose ends of wool. I found that I was able to use the cardboard template a few times if I was careful when pulling if off the wool. 




I didn’t use much wool so they don’t look very fluffy, but I’ll keep practicing! Have you had a go at making pom poms?

The cat wasn't impressed...but definitely want to have more craft days, they're so much fun and not expensive to do.  Hopefully we can start having them outside! Do you have any easy craft ideas? 



11 comments:

  1. This is so creative! I sometimes put wallpapers in frames as they can be so pretty :)

    Amy| The Little Koala Blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to put walpaper in frames too. Looks so nice.
    xx Stephanie (www.stephaniesstyleblog.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I love that last photo, haha... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh wow the wallpapered frames are AMAZING! LOVE themmmmmm... I wish I was good at crafty things :D xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try :) It's so easy to do!! xx

      Delete
  5. I love your pictures and creativity. SOOO cute! The cat is adorable as well.

    I really like you blog and am now following you via GFC.

    I'm currently having a giveaway for a beauty hamper, would love it if you checked it out ;) xx

    http://glamourtricks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/hi-beauties-i-wanted-to-bring-you.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'll definitely check it out! xx

      Delete
  6. Love the wallpaper tray idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've put wallpaper in frames before to use as pictures to coordinate the feature wall but I have never thought of using it as a tray! It's a great idea and a nice alternative to a mirrored tray!

    Rachel x
    Lost In Lipstick

    lostinlipstick.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I might use the leftover wallpaper to put in frames and hang in my room :)

      Delete